Motorcycle Chassis Design and Construction and Other Technical Topics
When I started the Euro Spares website back in the mid 1990s I had been writing and posting a series of articles on frame design and construction to some of the email lists I was on. These articles began when I asked if anyone on the lists was interested in the subject. The first article was a response to several messages I received, and things just took off from there.
I had received a number of posts asking if I intend to expand the articles into a book, including drawings, photos, and other graphics. I certainly had no intention of doing this when I set out. Once John Bradley wrote his two volume set and
Tony Foale republished/greatly expanded his original book any need for me to think about writing a book was rendered extremely moot.
Please keep in mind several things:
Disclaimer of liability:
- I am not an engineer; these articles are based on my own experience, the experience of a friend of mine, and whatever information I have been able to glean from various books, magazines, etc.
- If you use the information in these articles, you do so at your own risk. These articles are meant as a general discussion, and not a detailed design procedure. Motorcycling can be a dangerous sport, and the risk level can be increased if you are using improperly designed/constructed components on your motorcycle.
- These articles are, at best, in rough draft form. I generally sit down and knock one out when I have the time, give it a cursory review, and then post it. As I get a chance I'll be editing them where needed.
- These articles do not cover all possible topics, and should not be considered a definitive treatise on the subject.
Graphics and Copyright
- The articles could use more graphics. There are some ASCII graphics that reproduce with varying degrees of success depending on the browser being used. As I get the opportunity I will load some images on this page to help illustrate the articles. (NOTE: you should find plenty of photos elsewhere on the website, but I'll try to add some links to them from within the articles as I get the time - 04 Feb 09).
- I am retaining copyright to these articles and request that they not be republished, especially as they have not been closely checked for errors at this time.
I would be very happy to receive your questions about the articles. I would like to find out what areas need expansion/clarification. I do ask that you please read all of the articles before sending your questions, as some of the later articles include additional information on topics in earlier articles. If you find this topic of interest please consider subscribing to my mc-chassis-design email list. Details on how to do that can be found here.
As other technical articles have been written I've added them here too.
View the articles.
Back to the home page
© 1996-2009 Michael Moore, last update for this page 04 February 2009
For more information contact us by using